What is Self Care?
Self Care is about treating minor illnesses at home and seeking help when you need it. It is also about managing any conditions you have in a way that puts you in control, improves your quality of life and avoids you getting ill.
How self care savy are you? Do you know what medicines you can take for minor health issues or what treatment you should apply? Take our self care quiz and find out how much you know about self care and learn how you can look after your self and loved ones more.
There are various ways that you can support yourself to stay well, these include:
Stock up your medicine cabinet
To support Self Care at home you should keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet with essential medicines such as:
- painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen
- anti-diarrhoeal medicine
- oral rehydration salts
- indigestion treatment
- first aid kit including plasters, bandages and a thermometer
View the full recommended list here..
Take control of your health and wellbeing
The NHS website is full of information, tips and tools that can help put you in charge of your own health and wellbeing.
There you will be able to find:
- An A-Z of treatments and conditions providing explanations on a wide range of illnesses and ailments
- Information, tips and tools to help you stay healthy and live well
‘Ask NHS’ app
- Download the ‘Ask NHS’ app for free from the Apple Store and Google Play
- By using the app you can quickly and easily check symptoms 24/7
- Find local NHS services, including opening times
- Get trusted NHS health advice
- Book GP appointments
Visit your pharmacy for advice
Your pharmacist can help you and your family with lots of health care problems such as coughs and colds, aches and pains, allergies, hayfever and stomach upsets.
If you’re worried about an urgent medical concern, you can call NHS 111 to speak to a fully trained adviser who will direct you to the right service for your needs. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. Find out more about NHS 111 here For more information on Self Care, watch the video below (click on the image to watch the video).
Flo, the Friendly Dragon, get a cold video
Flo the Dragon and West Bromwich Albion’s Baggie Bird compete each other on a winter challenge